Monday, October 13, 2008

Handicap Parking Abusers: Part 2, Top 10 Excuses


Most people have witnessed people parking illegally in a handicap spot, and maybe have even wondered what their disability is? If you have a disabled placard/license plate, you probably have heard some of the excuses I have listed below.

If you have not yet read my blog titled, “Handicap Parking Abusers: Part 1, Excuses, Excuses, Excuses,” then you can see how I have lead up to part 2. First off, I would like to state that if I think someone is parked illegally, I don’t just rush over and rudely ask them what they are doing. I use a nice approach because I understand that people have hidden disabilities. I wait until they get out of the car because, like me, my disability is not visible until I get my wheelchair out. If I suspect someone could have a hidden disability and I don’t see a permit, I will just say, “Excuse me, but I think you forgot to hang up your handicap placard.” This is when I usually catch people, because if their response is, “I don’t have one,” then I will know they shouldn’t be parked there. I find that at this point I can say nothing or try to make a point, and remind them what they are doing is illegal.
Top ten excuses I have heard over the years:
1) My foot hurts!
2) I have a disability; I just forgot my handicap placard.
3) I used to have a disability.
4) I am running errands for my mom, and it is her disabled permit.
5) People that just give you the “blank stare.”
6) Or how about the “nothing answer,” because the person speeds away or ignores you.
7) The best one is just people who say, “I am sorry and won’t ever do it again!”
8) I didn’t see the sign.
9) I will only be here for a second.
10) There was nothing else open.

These are just a few of the excuses I have heard over the years. If you would like to share any with me I would love to hear them.

Tammy Wilber
~To no more excuses, from the handicap parking abusers~

No comments: